Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Week 3 Reflections

1. What did I learn from this week? I've learned that blogs can be a powerful collaboration tool between fellow teachers AND between my students. "RSS reader" is now in my vocabulary and I'll probably set my "pageflakes" page as my homepage so I can keep up-to-date with blogs, news and webpages that interest me.

2. How will I use what I've learned? I plan to keep using Pageflakes during the school year as a way to collaborate with students and stay up to date with theatre ideas posted by fellow theatre teachers. I definitely want to keep adding to my Pageflakes and take advantage its features.

3. How do I feel about this tool? I'm sad I didn't find out about RSS readers earler! I love the idea of updates coming to me instead taking the time to look at every single webpage or blog to see if it's been updated. It saves time, which is a precious commodity during the school year.

4. What do you not want to forget about this tool? I want to remember that features are constantly being updated! I don't want to forget to set my Pageflakes page as a bookmark or homepage on my computer in my classroom when I can access it. I want to keep using it and referring to it throughout the school year.

5. How can this be used in the classroom? I can use RSS to stay up-to-date with other theatre teachers to collaborate curriculum ideas, or perhaps collaborate with other core curriculum teachers on a project that incorporates what my students are learning in other classrooms.

6. Should I use this in the classroom? Yes! I think it can help students see one way to keep uptodate on news happening outside of the classroom. For example, I can stay up-to-date on Broadway plays and musicals and inform students how daily news stories relate to our current curriculum.

7. What questions do I have about this tool? What else do I not know? Since RSS is something I never knew existed, it makes me wonder what else out there could be helpful as a teacher. Is there more potential for Pageflakes? Are there plans to expand it and make it better?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Pageflakes is my RSS reader as well. I'm completely into aesthetics, and I like the look of this one. Greg has long been trying to change my mind though! Hopefully you will find this a useful tool both personally and professionally. Many folks choose to make the RSS reader their home page at home (not an option in RRISD, however).

    Debby

    ReplyDelete